Sunday, April 12, 2009

First crash damage

A variety of boards and connectors and things came in, so I pretty much finished putting everything together, and verified that the CPU can talk to the GPS and IMU and radio.




Why yes, that is a lovely rat's nest of wires! I will have to do something about the motor's power harnesses in particular, lest they dangle all about and get caught in the propellers.

So, having assembled a mostly complete (but unprogrammed) flying device, of course I had to take it for a spin (so to speak). Somewhere around 30% or 40% power, it lifted off the carpet, rapidly tipped to one side, and fell back down when I cut the power to the rotors. During one of these hops, some damage was sustained:


Yes, yes, it's kind of minor. It was a tab I had glued on earlier (it broke during some assembly mishaps). As designed, the interlocking undercarriage and zip ties held everything together just fine. Still, next time I'm at TechShop I'll make a new undercarriage with thicker tabs. (And then I'll have to cut and re-attach all the zip-ties to replace it.)

Meanwhile, since everything's hooked up and mounted, I can route IMU data through the XBee radio so at least I don't have to fuss around with that godawful Bluetooth interface. Or at least I will be able to once I reconfigure the XBee from 57600 to 115220 baud. Also, I can wave the IMU around for testing without its power coming loose every few seconds (because it's all wired up properly now, instead of using a jury-rigged connector).

Then, back to my schooling in sensor fusion and control theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment